Monday, March 15, 2010

you're welcome, 1st grade.

today while i was teaching kids about maps (think painful amounts of repetition and acting out bird's eye view), i noticed an especially blotchy kid sitting and looking hot (it was, after all, about 97 today, sources tell me). i ask the kid if he itches, and he says no. i ask if a bug bit him, and he looks at me all confused. then one of my good english kids threw out the spanish word for chicken pox. my itchy blotchy kid said, 'yeah.' and i just got confused. excuse me?! send your kid to school with the chicken pox? when you know he has them?! the other kids promptly moved away from him with scornful, "ayyy, eduardo!"s. then i asked the kids to raise their hands if they've never had chicken pox. most raised their hands. thinking it was a language misunderstanding (after all, most 1st graders have?) i changed it, "raise your hands if you have had them" and the other kids raised their hands. awesome. thanks, eduardo, for single handedly taking out half my class in the (very) near future.

3 comments:

  1. That is SO cute. We posted within a minute of each other; in fact, when I went to my blog list after publishing mine, yours said it had been updated 13 seconds ago. We are SO alike. We are SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "ayyy! Eduardo!!!" hahah. Picturing that in my mind's eye was just hilarious. O dear. I take it you've had them before and aren't worried about yourself, but you surely might have a smaller class size soon! Take care and all! ~T

    ReplyDelete